Portencross castle lies a few miles from the village of West Kilbride,it stands on a rocky shore with a small bay at the entrance to the castle.
The area surrounding the the castle is very scenic with fine views across to the Little Cumbrae Island and the Isle of Arran in the distance.
Portencross was the seat of the Barony of Arnele conferred by Robert 1 on Sir Robert Boyd of Kilmarnock.
Robert the 11 and the 111 were frequent visitors at the castle while they were in transit to their favourite residences of Dundonald on the mainland and Rothesay Castle on the Island of Bute.
Some observers believe that the castle was built for this purpose,it remained a Boyd property until 1737 when the roof blew off,it has been an empty shell since.
It is hoped that the castle will be made safe and open to the public in 2010.
Friends of Portencross Castle can be found HERE