Strone is a small village on the Cowal peninsula at the point where the north shore of the Holy Loch becomes the west shore of the Firth of Clyde.
The name comes from the Scottish Gaelic for nose, and applies to the hill above the village as well as to Strone Point. It adjoins the settlement of Kilmun on the loch, and the village of Blairmore on Loch Long. It used to have its own pier and was a regular stop for the Clyde steamer services.
High on the hill sits the imposing Dunselma, a Scottish baronial style house. It was built as a sailing lodge for the wealthy Coats family (proprietors of the eponymous Paisley mills) in 1885-7 by the Paisley firm of Rennison and Scott. It later became youth hostel and still forms a landmark clearly visible from the other side of the Clyde. It is a Category B listed building.